Official Registration

At a glance

Every newcomer to Tübingen must register their address with the local authorities. Read how here.

You are here: Life in Tübingen Paperwork Official Registration Tuebingen Signpost

Every newcomer to Tübingen - German and foreign citizens alike - who will remain for more than 90 days must register their place of residence with the local authorities within two weeks of moving in. This registration is the prerequisite for all further administrative steps of life in Germany.

Foreign citizens requiring a residence permit must first officially register as residents of the city where they live and then apply for the residence permit afterwards. The office where you register will also deal with your residence permit application (see also Visa and Residence Permit).

Please note: You can make an appointment to register at Tübingen's Citizens' office (Bürgeramt) by calling + 49 (0)7071 204 2020 or using the online tool (only available in German). Please make sure to make an appointment well in advance. It can take up to two weeks to get an appointment. Newly available appointments will be released in the mornings. Also, you can make an appointment to register in one of the outlying districts (Teilorte) or suburbs such as Hirschau, Derendingen or Lustnau.

You will receive an official notification of your registration. Only with this official registration (Wohnsitz-Anmeldung) you can open a bank account, register with gas, water and electricity suppliers, become eligible to receive local council services, and will be informed of elections in which you are eligible to vote. Registration is also necessary to receive your German tax ID number: It will be issued automatically following your registration.

The registration form asks - on a voluntary basis - about your religious affiliation. If you declare membership of one certain religious denomination in Germany, the tax office will automatically deduct church tax (Kirchensteuer) from your income (current rate: 8% of your income tax), to pass on to your denomination. For further information, see Practical Advice - Religion, or ask the citizens' office staff for help.

After registering, be sure to keep the carbon copy of your registration (Meldebestätigung). This is an important document that you will need for other occasions. If you change addresses, be sure to notify the Bürgeramt as well as arranging to have your mail forwarded, so important information such as tax numbers will reach you.

Failure to officially register within the 2 week deadline can result in a fine.

If you plan to live in guesthouse or other temporary accommodation for the first few weeks of your stay, you should register using the current address. See your personal support staff for institute-specific procedures and support.

Where do I go for the official registration?

Residents of Tübingen register at the Citizens' office of Tübingen (Bürgerbüro Stadtmitte), Schmiedtorstraße 4, 72070 Tübingen.

Opening hours: Mon, Wed, Fri 7:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.; Tues 7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.; Thurs 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Times for telephone enquiries: Mon - Thurs 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Fri 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Telephone (07071) 204-2020, Fax (07071) 204-2222, E-Mail

The offices are located in a distinctive black and white, half-timbered 15th century building known as the Fruchtschranne. Registration takes place at the counters in the large front room.

You have to wait outside the building. In your online appointment you will receive a time slot and number which will be called out. Only then you can enter the building. If you register yourself and your family only one person can enter.

If you are a resident of a town outside of Tübingen, please register at your local town hall.

What do I need to take?

To officially register as a Tübingen resident you will need:

  • Valid passport or equivalent
  • Appointment confirmation including your time slot and number
  • Visa, your date of entry or pre-existing residence permit
  • Your rental contract
  • Confirmation from your landlord/landlady that you have moved in (form "Wohnungsgeberbestätigung", download here)

If a spouse, partner or other family members live with you at the same address, you can take along the passports of all family members when going to the citzens' office and register them at the same time. They do not need to be present for registration.

There is no fee for official registration.

What if I move or leave Germany?

If you move out of the country or move to a different address, you must notify the local authorities by changing or cancelling your address registration. Please go to the office that dealt with your registration. You will need your passport.

Pages of Interest

Neurology imaging 1000x365

Research in Tübingen

Tübingen is a special place for research. Very few locations offer such a wide range of research areas in such close proximity - both physically and figuratively. Not only are all of Tübingen's research institutions just a stone's throw away from each other, they also collaborate closely within the Tübingen Research Campus.

Visit page
Hohentuebingen Castle

Life in Tübingen

Life in Tübingen is life in the heart of Europe and in one of Germany's most scenic and economically competitive regions. It's a bustling mediaeval town with a young, international, and vibrant population and a rich cultural and artistic scene. Lectures, concerts, film festivals, and more: life in Tübingen never gets boring.

Visit page
TNC Network v2

Tübingen Neuro Campus

The Neurosciences in Tübingen with more than 100 active research groups have the potential to rank among the most successful neuroscientific sites in Europe.

Visit page