of the Max Planck Society (FML)
The nucleic acid, the molecule that encodes all hereditary information necessary to build an organism, was discovered in Tuebingen in 1869 by Friedrich Miescher (1844-1895). The laboratory named after him was founded in 1969 and offers up to four outstanding young scientists the possibility to establish their own research group over a period of several years. Currently, the FML employs about 50 people.
The FML is represented by a Managing Director from the Max Planck Institute of Developmental Biology, but otherwise is an autonomous institution with its own staff and funding. The topics of the research groups cover a broad range and change with the appointment of each new group leader. Currently, the scientists are unraveling how the nucleus is organised, how external signals influence embryonic development and how new species develop and adapt to the environment.
The young group leaders at the FML are offered the possibility to carry out their own projects and to launch an independent career. About a third of the group leaders proceeded to become a director at a Max Planck Institute. The close interaction between the groups and the nearby Max Planck Institutes allows for a very active and lively scientific exchange. Joint seminars with outstanding speakers from all over the world also make for a stimulating research environment.Updated 01/04/2016 1:28pm